Keys To Success

Passion Pays: How I Turned My Side Hustle Into My Own Business

giphyAs most of my readers, friends, associates, and haters know by now – I am the spokesperson for the anti-9to5 club. Because I wear that title so proudly, it’s imperative that I work my ass off everyday. As you guys also probably know, Candice would rather receive $500 from something she created rather than $1000 from a job she hates; she knows if she can get ANYONE to spend $500 then she can get someone to spend $1000. Because guess what? I know how to hustle. At this point, the word “hustler” is just another characteristic trait that people can use when describing me. Being a hustler is not about finessing anyone or getting over on people.

tumblr_maqxomZAk01rdjqtyo1_250When I first decided that Life in a Pile would be a brand and not just a website, almost everything was free. I wrote for free. I did blog features for free. I did guest posts for free, etc. I did everything for free because I just loved doing it. I was so high on being ABLE to do it every and all day that I jumped at every opportunity to work on my craft. I also did everything for free because I had no leverage. It’s hard to convince someone what you’re capable of when you’ve never done it for someone other than bored friends and supportive-no-matter-what family members. It’s hard to convince someone that they should pay for your service when you can’t even show them how good you are at that service. I did everything for free because I knew that they’d automatically WANT to pay next time because the results didn’t LOOK like free work. People think that just because they’re offering a service they should automatically get paid for it. You have to remember that there is a certain level of trust between a business and its customers. As a new entrepreneur, it’s your job to build that trust first before anything else.

I don’t give a damn if you get an eviction notice or have to hide your car from the repo man, you have to trust God enough that everything will work out. That’s REAL faith. Finding a quick job at a retail store or fast food place because your business is “taking too long” to get off the ground is not real faith. You can’t turn your side hustle into a business on your own. You have to let God move how He’s going to move first then move how He want you to move after. Find your passion, do it for free, decide you want to make a living from it then have faith that God will lead the way.

Thanks for reading!

You Might Also Like

Previous Story
Next Story

7 Comment

1. Reply
    dmack1012
    April 8, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Yes indeed. This ain’t nothing but the truth.

2. Reply
    Eliza David
    June 16, 2016 at 5:26 pm

I’m kinda in love with your blog. I’ll be lurking for a minute – excuse my Black ass in advance!

3. Reply
    Krisha
    June 20, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Oh, my Lord; Just wow! This piece really resonates with me. And, I am beyond speechless how this post just summed up my continuous and on-going process, journey, state of mind, motto and mantra. (Yes, I had to tack on all those descriptions because this piece just left overwhelmed with motivation, encouragement and confirmation or affirmation) And, I just wanted to say Black Blogger/Woman/Hustler who rocks thank you, keep doing your thing because there are little ones such as myself who needs to hear, see and read this; Also, be ever filled with peace, joy, happiness and love. God bless!

1. Reply
      candicemccoy420
      June 20, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Awww this just made my night. I’m so glad it left you motivated & encouraged. Thank you. ❤️

4. Reply
    Leanne Lindsey
    July 11, 2016 at 3:42 pm

THANK YOU for this! I have been blogging for years and I have worked freelance as a life coach and careers adviser but this year I decided I wanted to take my writing and blogging more seriously but every few days that voice says “You have bills to pay, just do what you know pays.” but there is something deep inside telling me that I just need to have faith and trust, and this was another sign I needed. <3

1. Reply
      candicemccoy420
      July 11, 2016 at 3:54 pm

If it doesn’t feel wrong, it’s because it’s not. Don’t listen to that voice, listen to your gut! I’m glad my post could serve as a sign on your journey.

5. Reply
    Randie Chapman
    July 22, 2016 at 11:28 am

Love this! I also definitely know that I want to make my brand a paid dream but I also know I must build trust. I’m ready to do the hard work and will refer to this post when I feel a little discouraged.